Old August 12th 07, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default No Cycles Between Stations?

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:02:45 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

I thought the bike thing was to do with the need to be able to evacuate
out the ends. Does Merseyrail have tunnels where it's possible to go out
the sides instead?

The Loop tunnels are fairly tight, but I imagine it would be possible
to squeeze out between the train and the tunnel walls in most places -
though I doubt that would be the official evacuation route.

It's probably because the coaches are wider and as such a bike can be
easily moved out of the way. I note that they appear to be permitted
on all sections of the (larger) sub-surface lines.

In the case of LU there is also the deep tube stations to consider,
especially in the peaks, very few actually lend themselves to bikes being
wheeled about the platforms and interconnecting spaces. So for consistency's
sake and to avoid persistent debate, the odd couple of short tube tunnels
with no stations have to be 'sacrificed'...

Paul