Old August 20th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Hoffman Michael Hoffman is offline

Default Oyster Card

Uncle Dave wrote:

I'm just about ready to give up with this. I missed the DLR at London
City the first time I used it because the machine was hidden away in
an alcove in the entrance rather than on the platform. OK, fifteen
minutes isn't that big a deal but it rankles when you haven't been
home for three weeks. At Waterloo the thing was even better hidden so
I had to go the wrong way down an exit in order to seek it out.

It's at the gateline. How did you get in/out without using it?

The most obvious question to ask is why have it at all when a more
secure, proven and user-friendly alternative already exists? For at
least ten years now if I want to buy a ticket - including season - in
Germany or Belgium (and elsewhere I guess, these are the only places I
have had bank accounts apart from the UK) I simply insert my debit
card, select my ticket, enter my PIN and I'm sorted. No having to
search in alcoves, try and work out where the nearest machine is to
activate my payment - just pay and go.

So you just use the machine in Germany or Belgium without having to find
the machine first? How does that work, telepathy?

I don't know why it is but sometimes I think we Brits look at the way
things work elsewhere and decide that because we never invented them
they can't be any good.

An ironic statement considering how much Oyster owes to the Octopus
system of Hong Kong.

Can anyone tell me how I can use my Oyster Card on buses?

Well, the bus driver can, if you can't figure it out. Similarly, LU
stations are staffed and you can always ask someone for help.

TfL have guides here
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx explaining how to
use Oyster and what the advantages are for passengers.
--
Michael Hoffman