Old August 22nd 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default How can you have a signal failure on an ATO system?

Are the signals that are normally found on the upper left side of the tunnel
entrances at Victoria line stations actually starter signals or are they
platform repeaters? I notice that the stations do not appear to have
track-level starters, execpt for areas where there are points, such as at
Victoria.

I realise that the various equipments differ, but I it seems that signal
aspects on the Victoria line are the same as those on the Central line.
These include a danger aspect, an aspect allowing trains on code to proceed
and a clear aspect for all trains.

In any event, I notice that many drivers on the Central and Victoria lines
prefer to wait until they get a full clear before closing up and proceeding,
although some will depart when the signal indicated clear for coded trains.
Why is that?