Old August 23rd 07, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default How can you have a signal failure on an ATO system?

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:17:07 -0700, Mr Thant
wrote:

On Aug 22, 8:05 pm, Boltar wrote:
The train is control by the ATO cable signals , not a cluster of coloured
lights in the tunnel. Or is "signal failure" just an LU catch all phrase for
a computer failure?

Yes. For reasons I can't remember, there are only something like 5 or
6 possible phrases they'll use to explain delays to the public.
"Signal failure" is very broad and could mean any kind of signalling/
ATO/points/etc problem. "Passenger action" is another one.

"Signal failure" is at least meaningful (though posibly slightly
misleading). The phrase "passenger action" deserves to be sent to the
same hell to which I would banish all management speak. ("There's no I
in team" -- "Unless you're French", I always reply.)