Old August 23rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Phil Clark Phil Clark is offline

Default Oyster at West Brompton

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:46:00 -0000, John B wrote:

On Aug 13, 4:45 pm, asdf wrote:
As it is also a National Rail station, would it not be a good idea to
have a sign up saying how to buy National Rail tickets? They really
should make it more obvious.

Err, why? You buy them in exactly the same way as you buy Underground
tickets.

Yes, but it's entirely non-obvious that a ticket machine labelled
"London Underground" would sell NR tickets - while I might give one a
go on the off-chance if there were no other option, I certainly
wouldn't have expect it to do so before reading this thread - and I'm
fairly sure I'm more clued up [/geeky] about transport around London
than most people.

I was also not exactly sober at the time...

There is very little at West Brompton to tell you that it is an NR
station, once you're inside. And although I've lived and worked in
the London area for over 10 years, I probably haven't bought a ticket
at a tube station in all that time, apart from possibly the occasional
zone extension when I had a 1-4 travelcard, but I'm not even sure
about that. Since trading in my travelcard season ticket I have had
an Oyster.

Of course the answer is that Willesden Jcn - Clapham Jcn is exactly
the sort of inner urban rail route that should be on Oyster, and the
sooner it happens the better. Alternatively, if my season ticket is
valid, they should program the bloody gates properly. And in
addition, to find out the permitted route for your ticket there should
be an easy way of doing it through official channels, not by having to
ask geeky (but extremely helpful) people on newsgroups.

Thanks for everyone who posted: I have decided to write it off as one
of those things that happens when you're drunk, and not a particularly
expensive one at that.