Old October 30th 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Crossrail: Paddington reversers

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Richard J." wrote in message

In the thread "Crossrail preferred route" earlier this month,
I raised the question of what happens to the 6 tph westbound
after 12 tph go to Richmond (of which 4 tph continue to
Kingston) and 6 tph go to Heathrow. At the exhibition in
Paddington Library this week, a Crossrail representative
said that the remaining 6 tph would terminate at Paddington.

They are saying that, but I don't think they mean it.

They expressed doubts about the cost-benefit of extending to, say, Slough.
Although this makes the line unbalanced, it supports the regeneration
projects in the east.

They would then run empty up to the surface
where some reversing sidings would be provided.

Are there any other examples of trains in a frequent service
being terminated on the same track as following through services?

Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared train was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).
Bakerloo at Queens Park.
Kennington Charing Cross branch.
Somewhere on the Jubilee.... Willesden Green, I think.

Thanks. Was it the Liverpool Street fatality that led to the current rules
about checking every car? And were the Central & Bakerloo timetables
altered to allow for the longer dwell time when tipping out?
--
Richard J.