Old August 24th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Oyster Card

On Aug 24, 1:53 pm, John B wrote:
I'm missing the 'non-trivial' element, here...

A bus ticket machine is a fairly simple off-the-shelf gadget. You're
proposing bolting on a relatively huge amount of new electronics for
very little gain, plus the additional costs of maintaining it and
payingt for bandwidth and so on. From a technological point of view
you're right, it is trivial, but logistically and economically, no it
isn't.

You don't need it anyway. Online top ups have an overnight delay, so
they could just upload details of top-ups to be collected while the
bus is in the depot at night. I presume they've looked at this and
found it's more trouble than it's worth, or not something they could
keep working reliably, or not compatible with current working
practices, or some other non-technological issue.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London