Old August 24th 07, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Oyster Card

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Mr Thant wrote:

On Aug 24, 1:53 pm, John B wrote:

I'm missing the 'non-trivial' element, here...

A bus ticket machine is a fairly simple off-the-shelf gadget. You're
proposing bolting on a relatively huge amount of new electronics for
very little gain, plus the additional costs of maintaining it and
payingt for bandwidth and so on. From a technological point of view
you're right, it is trivial, but logistically and economically, no it
isn't.

Okay, hands up anyone here who's an electronic engineer.

Anyone?

No?

So we're all more or less talking out of our collective hats, then?

A mate of mine designed a system for trucks that monitors their position,
speed, and brake use, and radios it back to base for tracking and
maintenance management type stuff. It's a box with a GPS chipset, a GPRS
chipset, some analogue-to-digital converters, and a microcontroller. I
wouldn't say it was trivial, at all, but it was also not the kind of
impossibility you make out. [1]

You're right that it would add a fairly marginal amount of utility. But
buses are going to have computers with GPRS (and GPS) soon enough anyway,
for iBus, this kind of management-oriented telemetry, etc. Adding an
interface to the Oyster mainframe at that point would be a matter of a
ribbon cable and a few dozen thousand lines of code.

tom

[1] One of its effects is to make braking more efficient, which saves
fuel; something like 2%, i think. It's installed on 5000 trucks, which
means it's saving 100 trucks worth of fuel use; this friend accordingly
doesn't feel guilty about his frequent intercontinental plane trips!

--
As Emiliano Zapata supposedly said, "Better to die on your feet than
live on your knees." And years after he died, Marlon Brando played him