Old August 31st 07, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Default canning town jubilee line replacement program

On Aug 31, 1:15 pm, John B wrote:
On 31 Aug, 11:23, Kev wrote:

Opened in 1999. Are you sure it's 'replaced' rather than
'refurbished'? It wouldn't surprise me especially if the escalators
need 6 weeks of heavy maintenance after nearly 10 years' service, and
6 weeks sounds definitely more like a 'maintenance' than a
'replacement' timescale (iirc it's at least 3 months to install a
wholly new escalator into an existing shaft).

They replaced the escalators at North Greenwich also. Let's not
mention the replacement signalling system.The JLEx sure must have been
a pile of ****e.

Again, no they didn't. *Replacing* escalators is a year-long process -
see this interesting piece on the escalators at Moorgate:http://www.metronetrail.com/default....=1125646086750

What they're doing here is refurbishing:http://www.tubelines.com/news/perfor..._Q1_2007-8.pdf

I don't know if you've ever worked in manufacturing industry, but if
you can find a complex electromechanical machine that works non-stop
for eight years and doesn't require a shutdown for refurbishment and
extended maintenance, then I'd be interested to see it...

As far as the signalling goes - this was an emergency stopgap after
the oh-so-clever technology originally planned (but never previously
made operational anywhere, ever) failed to work. The plan was always
to replace it as part of the line upgrade.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot orgwww.johnband.org

Sorry but I just split my sides laughing.So escalators that have seen
7 years service are being refurbished. Well all I can say is that with
such a short life span you think that they would build a bit more
redundency into the system to cover the once every 7 years major
disruption caused by the refurbishment. Given that most stations have
only one up and one down and that every 7 years both are going to be
out of service for extended periods is a joke.

Now the piece de resistance, "The plan was always to replace it as
part of the line upgrade". They plan to upgrade the line just 7 years
after it was built. What sort of f**king idiots have we got running
the underground. Goodness know how old the signalling on the Northern
Line is, but a damn site older than 7 years. The Jubilee Ext is being
replaced after just 7 years because of a f**kup when it was built.
Loop systems have been around for a damn sight longer than 7 years and
I was under the impression that loop systems are yesterdays technology
even now.
Kevin