Old August 31st 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default canning town jubilee line replacement program

On 31 Aug, 13:15, John B wrote:
I don't know if you've ever worked in manufacturing industry, but if
you can find a complex electromechanical machine that works non-stop
for eight years and doesn't require a shutdown for refurbishment and
extended maintenance, then I'd be interested to see it...

I don't think anyone has a problem with them being maintained. I think
the length of time it takes is the issue. An escalator is probably one
of the simplest machines around , its a glorified conveyer belt. How
it can take 3 months to refurbish one never mind an entire year to
replace one (I suspect it took less time to build the entire station
than that!) is frankly mind boggling. It takes less time to turn
around the space shuttle from landing to launch!

B2003