Old August 31st 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default canning town jubilee line replacement program

On Aug 31, 8:26 pm, wrote:
On 31 Aug, 14:14, Boltar wrote:

An escalator is probably one
of the simplest machines around , its a glorified conveyer belt.

Have you ever been inside one to have a close look at the 'works'?

Seen it on TV. looks pretty simple to me. 1 large motor , some cogs
and the moving steps.

There are a lot of parts there to be removed, inspected, overhauled or
replaced, re-assembled, tested and re-commisioned. It's a safety
critical system, imagine the consequences of passengers near the top
of a crowded escalator being thrown down it by a sudden jolt. Then

Lifts are saftey critical. It doesn't take a year to replace one. At
least not outside the slow motion world of LU.

there's the fact there are often several escalators in one shaft, and
it may not be possible to work on one while an adjacent one is in
motion for safety reasons, restricting on-site work to a few hours
each night. Three months work sounds like pretty good going to me.

If theres one bloke working on it part time then yes. If they had a
whole team I don't see why they couldn't dismantle it in a few days ,
have it up at the factory for a few weeks then back and reassembled
inside a
month.

B2003