Old August 31st 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Help me i'm a tourist?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:56:45 -0000, Russ
wrote:

Hello,
I'm flying to London late September to Heathrow and my wife is flying
to Gatwick the next morning. I haven't been to London since 1989 and
don't remember anything (long story).

We're staying at the Sheraton Skyline near Heathrow (one of my
companies preferred hotels).

Questions a
1. How easy/costly is it to get from Heathrow airport area to the
touristy things like Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben,
Aquarium? What's the best mode of transportation for the least
expense?

You have the choice of the Heathrow Express (very expensive), Heathrow
Connect (Less Expensive) and the Piccadilly Underground line (Cheapest
rail method). The Travelcard gives you unlimited travel on
Underground, bus and some National Rail services within the Greater
London area, see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ for details.

From the Skyline a combination of bus and underground is probably the
best way to go. Try the TfL journey planner.

2. Is there anywhere better to stay for ~ 125 GBP that might be a more
convenient location and comparable to the Sheraton Skyline?

Have a look at Travel Inn http://www.travelinn.co.uk which is less
upmarket but probably comparable in comfort. You will not get a
Business facility, for example.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society