Old September 2nd 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Stand on the right - time to get rid of it?

wrote:
On 1 Sep, 19:36, Boltar wrote:
I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up
and down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides
in the rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously)
large queue for the right side and far fewer people going on the
left (plus theres always some idiot tourist who can't read who
blocks it anyway). I realise it might inconvenience people in a
hurry but I reckon the pros would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

Why not speed the escalators up? Or have, where there are several
escalators, one faster speed escalator. Paris had (or still has) a
faster speed "travelator" at Gare Montponarsse.

At Montparnasse-Bienvenuë Métro station actually. It runs at 9 km/h
instead of the usual 3 km/h. Stepping on and off a travelator going at
that speed would be hazardous, so they have a transition area at each
end where there are small rollers turning at a slower speed. It could
be tricky to use the same technique for an escalator. There's a photo I
took earlier this year at
http://images.fotopic.net/?id=40778626&noresize=1
--
Richard J.