Old September 2nd 07, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default Tube question

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 11:02:00 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

Boltar wrote:

On Sep 1, 9:53 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

The Piccadilly Line platforms north-east of Holborn used to be signed
Northbound and Southbound. There are still some signs showing this, I
noticed this one at Holborn for example.ftp://83.249.8.154/public/pictures/S...6/PICT5134.JPG

Yeah , I remember those signs No idea why they changed it. Mind
you , on the district line a few years back they used to have in car
line diagrams with east on the left and west on the right so the line
was completely reversed to what someone would see on the main tube
map. Heaven knows what the idiots who came up with that idea were
thinking (direction of travel of the train matching the map I suppose)
but common sense has since prevailed however.

Handed maps can be useful on lines with no branches, provided of
course that the trains ony reverse and never loop.

I have also sometimes wondered why the platform for anti-clockwise
Circle Line at Notting Hill Gate is signed "Westbound". The line is
drawn north-south on the tube map around there, and the actual direction
of the real tracks are also more south than west.

This is an FAQ, isn't it? The District line is deemed to run west/east
throughout its length, hence the C/D platforms at Notting Hill Gate
are deemed to be west/east not because of what Circle line trains do,
or even because of what District line trains to in the local area, but
because of what District line traisn do over the whole of their route.