Old September 2nd 07, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Next Week's Strike

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

( working 60-80 hours a week)

Quite frankly working those sorts of hours is either grossly inefficient

I suggest you tell that to my former teaching colleagues who, having
spent 7 hours at school with no breaks, come home to 4 hours of marking,
preparation and form-filling-in (unless there are parents' evenings,
drama nights, concerts, and the like, when it means working weekends as
well). And holidays? That's when you are expected to do training.

or the sign of someone who is solely chasing obscene amounts of money
with no regard to their well being or else someone in a very low paid
job and virtually no employment rights.

Much though I appreciate your detailed observations about LU, I cannot
help think you are revealing yourself as one of those lucky people in a
protected industry without any real competition.

In the area in which I now work (publishing), real competition forces
down income to the extent that working long hours are the only way to
survive.

You are VERY lucky in having such well-protected working conditions ...
but before getting on your high horse I suggest you reflect on the fact
that very many people are not as privileged as you.

Sorry, Paul, but for once you have come across (perhaps unwittingly ...
but there's the worry) as extremely arrogant and quite out of touch with
the real world in which most of us live.
--
Paul Terry