Old September 2nd 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default Stand on the right - time to get rid of it?

.. .
On 2007-09-02, wrote:
On 1 Sep, 19:36, Boltar wrote:
I can't help thinking that the escalators would get more people up
and down them in a given time if people could stand on both sides
in the rush hour since you always get a (sometimes dangerously)
large queue for the right side and far fewer people going on the
left (plus theres always some idiot tourist who can't read who
blocks it anyway). I realise it might inconvenience people in a
hurry but I reckon the pros would outweight the cons.

Opinions?

B2003

During the escalator reeplacement works from the Northern Line at
Moorgate there were signs and announcements advising customers to
stand on both sides.

Exactly, because you get better total throughput that way, though
obviously at the expense of those who want to use the left side
to hurry.

I've wondered if the escalator components wear out at all differently
on left and right parts, due to the unbalanced loading?

Yes, I seem to remember reading that they do. Presumably the right-hand
side wears faster?