Old September 3rd 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default Tube question

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:10:54 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

David of Broadway wrote:
Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

I have also sometimes wondered why the platform for anti-clockwise
Circle Line at Notting Hill Gate is signed "Westbound". The line is
drawn north-south on the tube map around there, and the actual
direction of the real tracks are also more south than west.

I think I missed a train last summer because of this. I was going to
Gloucester Road or South Kensington.

That's exactly what I had in mind. It feels just wrong to call it
"Westbound" in that case. About the same as Boltar's example, travelling
from Cockfosters to for example Finsbury Park on the Piccadilly Line and
they are calling that "Westbound" when it is so obviously travelling
south, or actually slightly south-east...

There are always going to be slightly non-intuitive local examples -
consider Euston/KXSP on the Victoria and Northern lines. I think we're
quite lucky to have such prominent line diagrams all over the place.