Old September 5th 07, 05:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Easy interchanges in London (Waterloo vs St. Pancras International)

In article .com, John
B writes
In general, it seems to me that the Victoria line was a high point in
terms of easy connexions - cross-platform interchange wherever
possible, often created thanks to considerable ingenuity.

But why didn't they go for x-platform at Green Park and Warren
Street...?

Green Park is due to simple geometry: get a map and remember that the
Piccadilly is running under Piccadilly with the station under the
intersection with Dover Street. Now try to construct a route with
reasonable curvature that gives you cross-platform interchange. It's
just not practical.

Warren Street was deliberate. In the early 1960s there was much more
traffic on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern than the Bank
branch. Therefore the interchanges with the Victoria were deliberately
arranged to encourage people on to the Bank branch and not to use the CX
one, thus evening up the flows somewhat. In hindsight that may seem the
wrong decision, but we have 40 years more data to work on.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: