Old November 1st 03, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeremy Parker Jeremy Parker is offline

Default London's Lost Roman Road

I'm not an expert, but I think that both the Watling St crossing at
Westminster, and the deviation in Greenwich are within mainstream
thinking. If Watling Street ignores London, maybe that means it was
built before London existed. I think there's a theory that the
general route of Watling St, at least N. of the Thames, might go back
to even before the Romans.

It might be a good time to look for signs on the ground. It's been
the best summer since the bronze age, so lots of new things might be
showing up - and might vanish again when the rain starts again.

It would probably be interesting to fly around in a plane along with
an expert archeologist.

Looking for Roman roads got unfashionable for a while. There was a
group of road hunters, who called themselves the "Viatores" who put
out a book called "Roman Roads in the SE Midlands", or some such.
It's centred about roughly St. Albans, but goes all the way down to
the Thames. I think it's generally reckoned that they were a bit
over enthusiastic, and found a few roads which didn't actually exist.

Also there's a new book out by somebody called Davies, who used to be
a road engineer at the Transportation Research Lab in Bracknell.
That's fairly near Silchester, which has a number of roman roads
converging on it, so when he retired he decided to study Roman roads
at Reading U, and ended up writing his book. He's got an article on
the web. Look at the latest British Archeology Magazine
www.britarch.ac.uk

Jeremy Parker