Old September 9th 07, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Mysteries seen from the air

On 9 Sep, 15:32, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

The gasometer is still there at Southall along with the letters
painted on it - in fact what's actually painted on them is "LHR"
accompanied by an arrow below pointing forwards (though of course the
precise arrangement may have been different in the past). You can see
it from the train on the GWML. Presumably this is provided by
arrangement between the gas board - now Transco - and BAA / the CAA /
NATS.

Here is conformation, albeit without a photo of the LHR markings on
the side:http://www.route79.com/journal/archives/000213.html

And here, courtesy of a Flickr contributor, is photographic proof of
the LHR and arrow markings:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79/276017099/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79/162905004/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fictiondreamer/1138463729/

Great great curry houses in Southall too - and authentic, in the
truest sense of the word.

And this is the bit where I admit to being a complete idiot! The text
on the markings does of course merely state "LH" as opposed to "LHR" -
I was going by memory as opposed to actually looking at those Flickr
photos that I'd found, d'oh!

I've also just looked at the link to Live Maps that John Rowland
provided in another post - the birds eye view shows it clearly.

The cause of my befuddlement is that LHR is of course the IATA code
for Heathrow.