Old September 9th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Easy interchanges in London (Waterloo vs St. Pancras International)

On 9 Sep, 20:01, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article m,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Sep 9, 4:22 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Clapham North and Clapham Common are the only two surviving
subterranean true island platforms on the whole Underground
network.

Have the Glasgow island platforms gone now?

St Enoch has been rebuilt and IIRC one more station (Buchanan Street?),
all other still have island platforms.

It's been a while since I've been in Glasgow but I remember finding
them slightly disconcerting too - not helped by the fact that, at
least as I remember it, there wasn't anything upright on the island
platforms - either to sit or lean on or simply for psychological
reasons (I could grab hold of that just in case!).

Before linking you to some photos I do just want to reassert that I am
a tough guy really... honest!

West Street station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G...nderground.jpg
Kelvinhall station:
http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/gla/kelvinhall1.jpg
Shields Road station:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/teflon/518512661/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicohogg/74463281/
....though as one of the commentators says one side of this platform at
Buchanon Street station now has a screen...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdstrowes/286751141/

And this platform at Kelvinbridge looks somewhat wider that the above
examples:
http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/gla/kelvinbridge1.jpg

Incidentally on the Wikipedia entry I found a link to this fantastic
forum posting full of photos of the Glasgow subway of old -
fascinating:
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/...pic.php?t=1057