Old September 9th 07, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Mysteries seen from the air

On 9 Sep, 21:23, Offramp wrote:
On Sep 9, 3:32 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Sep, 20:54, James Farrar wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79...ww.flickr.com/...

That last one is really good - there's the gasometer and a strange
redbrick gothic tower, a mirror of the gasometer, in the foreground.
I'd love to live in a place like that, as long as it had a lift.

I see you're posting via Google Groups (as I do) which unfortunately
makes a horrendous mess of mangling together URLs when quoting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fictiondreamer/1138463729/

I think I've located where the tower is - it's very near Southall
station on a road called The Straight and is marked "Water Tower" on
this map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=512448&y=179802

It looks like it occasionally gets used as a film location...
http://www.westlondonfilmoffice.co.uk/index.php?siid=2736
(the photo might be a bit old and is from a different angle but it's
definitely the same place)

This website in homage to the Professionals TV programme claims the
water tower is known locally as "The Cockpit"! - a quick search on the
web failed find any other evidence on the web to back this up, but
then again it's the kind of local word-of-mouth thing that doesn't
necessarily ever get on to the web...

http://www.mark-1.co.uk/Professionals/a13.htm
(scroll down for photo or search the text)