Old September 16th 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default London Victoria Solari flap scripts

On 16 Sep, 10:11, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:35:09 -0700, Mizter T
wrote:

I'm far from being an expert on the WCML service pattern but I
understand that Virgin Trains WCML services have significantly cut
down the number of trains that now stop at these stations.

Not yet, but they will do in 2009.

Thanks for the info. I presume it's all part of the drive to improve
journey times between Euston and major city destinations on the WCML.

All in all whilst the WLL certainly appears initially to be ripe for
use by cross-London trains, in reality it's all a bit more
complicated. Indeed the current hourly(ish) Southern Watford-CJ-
Gatwich-Brighton service is under threat. The current plans appear to
extend it up to Milton Keynes - which is good, at least with regard to
connecting with WCML trains. However it will also then get truncated
at CJ - which is bad for those heading further south (yes they can
change at CJ, but the benefit to many such passengers is that they
don't have to change - especially those heading for Gatwick, plus the
change at CJ is very awkward up a steep and narrow flight of stairs -
not good with luggage).

I think MK Central to Gatwick would be what you'd want to drag
accessible by any mode of transport[1] from the north WCML commuter
stations.

[1] Well, if you have luggage... if you don't, train to Euston, Vic
line and GatEx isn't a bad option.

I've just delved in to the South London RUS, and it pretty much rules
out the continuation of any through WLL services from the WCML through
to Gatwick - so that means curtailing the current hourly-ish Southern
service.

It is in favour of additional WLL services down to "the Croydon area"
calling at all stations on the Norbury line, recognising that there is
a suppressed demand for such journeys - however it focusses on
suburban journeys rather than airport journeys, which I guess makes
some sense as that would be more the remit of the Brighton Mail Line
RUS (which I haven't read any of). The South London RUS is however
somewhat dismissive of running such trains down to Gatwick:
(a) because of capacity constraints at Gatwick
(b) because the further they go the busier they'll be and they will
only be 4-car trains - I think because of the short platforms at
Clapham Junction
(c) because it thinks it inappropriate to mix airport traffic with
suburban traffic - because of the two different types of passenger,
one going longer distance with much luggage, the other making local
journeys.

I've certainly seen grateful passengers using the Southern service
south from Olympia, whether joining there or already on the train. I
say they are grateful as several appear to be heading for the airport
and the train takes them all the way, whilst others are grateful of
avoiding a cross-London journey and staying on one to get to the south
coast. It would seem the writing on the wall for these trains. Shame,
but it appears that the analysis concludes the competing demands are
too great for such services to continue.