Old September 16th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Transdev SO class buses / leather seats

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:51:44 -0700, wrote:

Although I haven't ridden on one, I understand that the new SO class
buses introduced on route 148 (Shepherds Bush to Camberwell Green) by
Transdev have leather seats. Is this for evaluation or policy for all
new buses operated by Transdev in London?

No idea.

London has a long and envious record of moquette seated trains and
buses, even during the seventies when almost all other bus operators
adopted PVC seat coverings. I realise that leather seat coverings are
now making a (to my mind, unwelcome) appearance on public transport in
many parts of the country but why has Transport for London accepted
this change? Is there evidence that this is what the public wants and
what is the point on a local bus route?

I didn't think TfL specified the seat design or covering. Some aspects
of the vehicle design are TfL specified but most is down to the operator
AFAIK.

To my mind, leather seats (of the kind specified in public transport)
have a fairly spartan look compared to many of the bright moquettes
used and although they may offer a "wipe-clean" surface, they are more
prone to damage by scratching or other mistreatment / vandalism.
However, they are gradually creeping into many fleets now.

I might be out of date but the only fleets with leather seats are all
part of the Transdev (formerly Blazefield) group - Keighley and District
(single decks), Harrogate and District (route 36) and Lancashire United
(route X43).
--
Paul C