Old September 20th 07, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Rotherhithe Tunnel

On 20 Sep, 02:17, "John Rowland"
wrote:
The interweb says that there are four shafts, but I can only see three. Does
anyone know if shaft 4 (the northernmost one) is still there?

Incidentally, on the shot here
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...style=o&lvl=2&...
you can see that the Rotherhithe Tunnel Southern Approach has its own bridge
over the East London Line.

Yes I've always found that bridge intriguing - I wonder how many
people realise it's there.

You can certainly see it when looking up from the station, but perhaps
if you don't know what it is it isn't particularly obvious that the
structure is in fact a bridge - certainly there isn't any particularly
noticeable traffic noise at platform level (the noise that is
noticeable is the sound of running water running down the drains, much
like at Wapping)

Driving along the approach road to/from the tunnel it's certainly not
apparent that you're going over a bridge - the walls are pretty high
(which will help muffle the noise at platform level).

The other fact I like about the Rotherhithe Tunnel is that alongside
the 34,000 vehicles that use it daily there are 20 brave pedestrians
who walk through it! I've no idea if the pavement through the tunnel
is officially shared by pedestrians and cyclists, but certainly no-one
will begrudge those cyclists who do take this subterranean route for
cycling on the pavement (which is what they do) given the very narrow
of the roadway.

Both cycling and walking through that Tunnel are some of the more
bizarre entries on my hypothetical 'things I haven't yet done in
London' list.