Old September 20th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Transdev SO class buses / leather seats

On 16 Sep, 21:51, wrote:
Although I haven't ridden on one, I understand that the new SO class
buses introduced on route 148 (Shepherds Bush to Camberwell Green) by
Transdev have leather seats. Is this for evaluation or policy for all
new buses operated by Transdev in London?

London has a long and envious record of moquette seated trains and
buses, even during the seventies when almost all other bus operators
adopted PVC seat coverings. I realise that leather seat coverings are
now making a (to my mind, unwelcome) appearance on public transport in
many parts of the country but why has Transport for London accepted
this change? Is there evidence that this is what the public wants and
what is the point on a local bus route?

To my mind, leather seats (of the kind specified in public transport)
have a fairly spartan look compared to many of the bright moquettes
used and although they may offer a "wipe-clean" surface, they are more
prone to damage by scratching or other mistreatment / vandalism.
However, they are gradually creeping into many fleets now.

Jonathan

I have ridden on one of these 148s that had leather seats today,
though I don't have any amazing revelation to recount to you about the
experience!

The seat was comfortable, but I'm not sure they were any more or less
so than a moquette fitted seat of the same design (though the design
of those seats is far better than some others, but I digress).

I suspect that the real test is what they're like in hot weather - as
leather can get a bit sticky, whilst I guess moquette is a somewhat
more breathable material. Of course we didn't have a roaring heat-wave
this summer just gone, but it looks like they're going to be a regular
meteorological fixture of the future so perhaps this'll be a more
critical issue when it comes to assessing the worthiness of leather
seats.

Regarding wear and tear - these were new seats on a new bus, so
nothing adverse was to be seen in this department.

I think I'd probably be right in suggesting that it's unlikely this is
real leather, but to be honest I didn't actually think about that
whilst on-board so I couldn't say for sure. Apart from any other
considerations, such as cost, real leather would likely attract
adverse comment from some vegans.

So, this member of the jury hereby wishes to record my current verdict
as being "don't know"!