Old September 21st 07, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Oyster Card

On Aug 20, 10:54 pm, Uncle Dave wrote:
Can anyone tell me how I can use myOysterCard on buses? TFL don't
seem to want to - they hint at it, presumably expecting visitors to
London to somehow understand how London transportation works.

You are not
alonhttp://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/content/redbridge/recorder/news/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=newsIlford&tBr and=northlondon24&tCategory=newsilford&itemid=WeED 20%20Sep%202007%2009%3A33%3A33%3A853

quote

Train users paying for Oyster card mix-up
MARC WALKER - 20 September 2007
CONFUSED rail passengers are being hit with £20 on-the-spot fines
after mistakenly thinking they can use their Oyster card on train
services.

Rail company One has pledged to extend the electronic ticketing system
- which operates between Stratford and Liverpool Street - to Redbridge
stations by May 2009.

But in the meantime many commuters remain bewildered by the transport
network.

Barry Edwards, of Chelmsford Road, South Woodford, said he saw several
people attempt to pass through barriers at Ilford station using their
Oyster cards, only to be fined for fare dodging.

He said: "There was a Polish student reduced to tears when an officer
was trying to serve her a £20 penalty charge.

"Transport for London has already paid the money to One Railway to
take on the pre-payment system right up to Romford. If the money has
been paid, why not wave them through?"

A One spokesman confirmed that TfL will pay for the installation of
Oyster payment barriers at stations in Ilford, Seven Kings, Goodmayes
and Chadwell Heath - but denied that the company had already received
the cash from City Hall.

She said: "No money comes to us. TfL puts the equipment into the
stations, but we will be paying for the maintenance."

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has made no secret of his anger over
train operators' reluctance to embrace Oyster.

A TfL spokesman said: "We recognise the benefits to tens of thousands
of passengers of a fully integrated transport smartcard, to pay for
all forms of public transport across London.

"Indeed, last May, the mayor offered £20million to pay for the
provision and installation of Oyster across the national rail network
in the capital.

"All the train operating companies are in final discussion with TfL
over the implementation of Oyster pay-as-you-go on their services.
Agreement should hopefully be reached in the next few weeks.

unquote: