Old September 21st 07, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default 1938 Stock Tube Tours

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

I hadn't realised there was a time when that bit of line only ran to
Drayton Park; it originally terminated in underground platforms at
Finsbury Park (having been planned to go further and then wrecked by
corporate politics, as i'm sure we all know),

Surely WW2 and a complete lack of money, rather than corporate politics?

Since the line was opened in 1904, this seems unlikely.

Clive tells all:

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html#GNCR

You're getting confused between the GN&CR's plan to link the line to the
GNR, which was blocked by the GNR before the line was event built, and
LU's plan to link the line to the Edgware, Highgate & London Railway (part
of the infamous Northern Heights scheme), which was indeed nobbled by WW2.

It's poetic that the fate that was finally delivered is exactly the one
originally planned. Shame that it took 71 years to be delivered!

tom

--
All we need now is Jesus the Lord, fine corn liquor and the courage to
think the unthinkable.