Old September 21st 07, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default "All change on the East London line"

On 21 Sep, 17:11, "Richard J." wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
Obviously what's missing here is any cross-river connection, and to
anyone who knows the Rotherhithe Tunnel it's pretty obvious why -
it's a tiny tunnel, unsuitable for anything more than minibuses.

LT used to run double-deckers through the original single-bore Blackwall
Tunnel (routes 108, 108A) and also Rotherhithe Tunnel (route 82). They
were modified STLs with a different roof profile and tyres with
specially reinforced sidewalls to protect them from frequent contact
with the kerbs in the tunnels. Details athttp://www.countrybus.org.uk/STL/STL11.htm#tunnel

According to http://www.londonbusroutes.net/photos/395.htm, there is a
7'6" width restriction. But I thought several of the single-decker
classes like the DP were 7'6" wide (2.29 m). So why can't they be used?
--
Richard J.

Blimey - I knew that there were double-deckers through the Blackwall
tunnel, but not the Rotherhithe tunnel! That must've been a squeeze.