Old September 21st 07, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Rotherhithe Tunnel

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
In message . com of Thu,
20 Sep 2007 09:03:36 in uk.transport.london, Mizter T
writes

[snip]

The other fact I like about the Rotherhithe Tunnel is that alongside
the 34,000 vehicles that use it daily there are 20 brave pedestrians
who walk through it! I've no idea if the pavement through the tunnel

Where did you find that?

is officially shared by pedestrians and cyclists, but certainly no-one
will begrudge those cyclists who do take this subterranean route for
cycling on the pavement (which is what they do) given the very narrow
of the roadway.

I have walked through it once in each direction. It took me about 15
minutes. I would not recommend it because the pollution seems atrocious.
A dentist friend cycles it daily on his work journey. Cycles sensibly and
illegally use the footpath. I suggest using the wrong footpath as there
are some pretty wide, overhanging vehicles which squeeze through the 7' 6"
width restricting bollards. There are cameras on both approaches to
encourage compliance with the 20 limit.

Wasn't it built with separate entrance stairss for pedestrians, nearer the
river, a bit like the Greenwich foot tunnel? Are they the round buildings
you can see above the route?

Paul