Old September 22nd 07, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default What uniforms?

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote in
message
I had my first experience of the new "Uk Border" style of immigration
at Heathrow last night. After a long journey and 20 minutes in a
holding pattern the last thing you want is 15 minutes in a line. But
that said I have to admit I was impressed. There were about 6 lines f
or EU passports with the new uniformed staff on each line, with a few
heavies lurking in case of trouble. Every passport gets scanned and
they do actually look you over to see the picture is you. Plus I
liked the no nonsense approach.

Yes I could have done without the hassle, but it has to be done and
they seem to be doing a good job of it.

I arrived back at LHR T3 early this morning and didn't see any sign of
the new immigration uniforms. All was as it has been for the last few
months -- friendly, efficient immigration staff in civvies, with no
obvious heavies in evidence and no long delays. It was the same when I
left a few days ago -- exit passport inspection, but no uniforms in
sight.