Old September 22nd 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Immigration Heathrow

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:46:03 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:
I will admit I always liked the non-uniformed informality of the UK
approach. They could quite easily have tightened it up without losing
that typically British friendliness.

I think some professionals' work is enhanced by a uniform, with all
the advantages of instant recognition - I'm thinking particularly of
the emergency services. But immigration people, also professionals,
aren't improved by a uniform that makes them look like a Top Shop
security guard.

As far as I remember, my passport has been scanned each time I've been
through a UK airport this year, even when the queues have been long.
It seems to take a relatively long time scan/lookup, perhaps it's
quicker with the new biometric passports.

Has anybody here registered with IRIS? This might be the solution. I
haven't registered, but I think I will next time I pass through. A
pity that it has not yet been extended to Eurostar arrivals.
(
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/iris/)

Richard.