Old September 24th 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default 1938 Stock Tube Tours

On 24 Sep, 13:22, Mr Thant
wrote:
All of which does make it a bit surprising that there were 300 people on
board at the time of the Moorgate disaster. I wonder where they'd come
from. Were other lines out that day? Did lots of people come in off
buses? Are we just completely wrong about this being a bad route?

With the interchange at Highbury, it would have been be the best route
from the north end of the Victoria into the City, and changing to the
Victoria at Finsbury Park a decent route from the Piccadilly and
KX-bound suburbans.

But the best route from the north end of the Victoria into the city
would have been from Walthamstow, Seven Sisters or Tottenham Hale to
Liverpool Street.

Thinking about it, I suspect you're right that the double-x-platform
change from the Piccadilly would have accounted for most of the GN&C's
traffic.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org