Old September 24th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 1938 Stock Tube Tours

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article om,
(MIG) wrote:

The UNDMs were all from the extra build known as 1949 stock, rather
than 1938 stock as such. I think that 1949 stock consisted of only
UNDMs and trailers and allowed units to be reformed.

Not so at all. Some of the UNDMs (22 out of 92) came from the
remains of the aborted 9 car train experiment.

9 cars? What? Where? When? How?

Read any good book on Northern Line history. The 1938 stock book I quoted
from last night described the experiment as "something that seemed like a
good idea at the time" with the implication that the author thought they
were stark staring bonkers to have tried it! It made more sense with
Standard stock which wasted a lot of passenger space on control equipment
compartments but the complications introduced made the idea unreasonable
for 1938TS.

--
Colin Rosenstiel