Old September 24th 07, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default Scenic bus routes

Paul Corfield wrote:

Possibly the U9 and 331 out at Uxbridge but not travelled on these.

The 331 is a pretty good route, but again loses points for being a
single decker.

It's also one of the "Beyond the Fringes" routes that strays outside
Greater London as it passes through Denham.

Denham: Scene of much annoyance as the Post Office/Mini Market will
quite happily sell you a Zones 1 to 6 Travelcard (valid on the 331
throughout the route), but if you want to get the Chiltern Railways
service into Marylebone, rather than the 331 to Uxbridge and then the
Met or Piccadilly, it'll cost you an extra £2.80 for the privilege, as
it's outside the zones.

Mind you, if it was up to me (which it isn't), I'd extend the Z6
boundary to include Denham, just to get rid of that anomaly.

And on the subject of Denham and anomalies, who's going to decide what
counts as a "local" bus service for the purposes of free bus travel for
over 60s from next April?

Green Line Route 724, which generally uses Single Decker buses in the
usual Arriva Turquoise livery, could class as either, depending on the
journey being made, as it runs through from Harlow to Heathrow Airport,
via Ware, Hertford, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, St Albans, Watford,
Rickmansworth, Denham and Uxbridge, with an end to end journey time of
nearly 3 hours.

Cheers,

Barry