Old September 25th 07, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Maps, with some observations and some questions

Afternoon all,

I was looking for 60s maps showing the layout around Finsbury Park, and
stumbled across some wonderful websites for map nerds. Many of these you
will now already, but perhaps some you will not.

Various maps 1553 - 1918:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...._pages/lon.htm

A variety of maps from 1922 (plus one from each of 1890, 1902, 1920):
http://www.hipkiss.org/cgi-bin/maps....n&format=table

Various:
http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/index.html

Complete 1945 OS map of the UK, with dodgy postcodes:
http://www.npemap.org.uk/

Joyce Whitchurch's Beeching maps, which i keep forgetting about:
http://www.joyce.whitchurch.btinternet.co.uk/maps.htm

British Library Crace collection (867 maps!):
http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/sear...&step=val_form

City of London collections:
http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/c...esults&sp=Zmap

Oh god more maps, painful to navigate:
http://www.motco.com/map/

1889 poverty map:
http://www.umich.edu/~risotto/

Now!

This map from 1922 shows some things i found interestingg in the Finsbury
Park sort of area:

http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/bar...0_1541_600.jpg

(a) The Northern line before it was extended north of Archway; at that
time, Archway was apparently known as Highgate.

(b) The way things are drawn around Drayton Park shows the Moorgate tube
joining the Canonbury Curve at Drayton Park, before going on to Finsbury
Park. I was wondering if there were actually two parallel routes here -
tube and surface - but the maps suggests not. But since we know that there
was a link from the mainline to this line, the story about the GN&CR being
hobbled by terminating in deep platforms doesn't quite make sense, and i'm
confused all over again.

(c) The map shows a Gillespie Road station on the GN&CR. I know there's
one on the Piccadilly (currently called Arsenal), but is it true that
there was a stop on the big railway too, or is that a mistake?

On the other side of town, in this map:

http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/mey...2835_ 600.jpg

There appears to be a station at the south end of Victoria Bridge. Is that
so? It seems like a very good idea. When was it got rid of?

tom

--
Ensure a star-man is never constructed!