Old September 26th 07, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] sehinde_taiwo@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default National Rail tickets from LUL stations

On 26 Sep, 16:05, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 03:16:08 -0700, Mr Thant

wrote:
Hi,

What are people's experiences buying unusual or long distance or
Railcard-discounted tickets at NR stations where the ticket office is
run by LUL?

Isn't this is a slightly unfair question given that LU offices, even
where there is a NR service at the location, have always had a
restricted ticket range and are not subject to the same obligations as
normal NR stations that have ticket offices? In such cases why would
one be able to buy a unusual (whatever one of those is) or long distance
ticket?

I rarely have to buy tickets but have managed to get NR tickets at
Blackhorse Road reasonably well - after the 10 minute queue for tickets
involving family groups (talk about 20 questions!) has got out of the
way.

I would also comment that I would not trust the "One" ticket office at
Walthamstow Central to sell me anything more complicated than a ticket
to Liverpool St. If I want something complex (i.e. any ticket I would
buy as I have privilege facilities and cannot book on line) I go to a
big station with a decent travel centre and try to book in advance as
the risk of a 30 minute queue when I have 10 minutes to catch a train is
far too great. Liverpool St struggled to sell me a one day PlusBus
ticket for Colchester earlier this year (on top of a normal return
ticket) - this despite the window in question having a dispenser of
PlusBus leaflets on it.

Also, any luck getting Railcard-discounted Day Travelcards
at ordinary LUL stations?

Not applicable in this case.

Why are you asking the questions?
--
Paul C

I would like to answer your question about buying railcard discounted
tickets at ordinary LUL stations. You wont be able to buy discounted
tickets unless the LUL station is a shared station. For example
Farringdon I have had no problems buying railcard discounted tickets
to the stations on the Bedford line.

Certain LUL stations refuse to even though they are shared. For
example Highbury and Islington wont sell you any railcard discounted
tickets.

It is very inconsistent in my experience and
it depends upon the genorisity of the shared LUL NR station.