Old September 26th 07, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default National Rail tickets from LUL stations

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:03:10 -0700, Mr Thant
wrote:

On Sep 26, 4:05 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
Isn't this is a slightly unfair question given that LU offices, even
where there is a NR service at the location, have always had a
restricted ticket range and are not subject to the same obligations as
normal NR stations that have ticket offices?

I don't mean where it's "at the same location", I mean where the LUL
ticket office and machines are the only way through the barrier onto
NR services. Are you meant to be able to buy the same tickets here as
at an NR ticket office? I'm never quite sure.

So to test an example - Highbury and Islington should be able to sell a
GNER "Loony Woony Toony" [1] ticket to Newcastle upon Tyne because you
can catch a FCC train at Highbury and then eventually change on a GNER
service at Stevenage or Peterborough?

Or Kentish Town should be able sell you a ticket to Kettering because
you can change from FCC to Midland Mainline at Luton?

As I have already said LU stations (used to be called Section "T"
stations when I was involved in all this years back) can only sell to a
limited range of destinations (certainly not the entire NR network), can
only sell a limited range of types, can only deal with a limited range
of discounts and certainly cannot do things like reservations. Part of
this is down to history and part of this is down to the fact that I
imagine someone wanting a £4 ticket to Brixton or Dagenham or to add £30
to their Oyster card is not remotely interested in being stuck behind
someone taking 20 minutes for a transaction. There is also the
technological and staff training overhead in dealing with a massively
complex NR ticket set up for very little benefit indeed.

It is going to be very interesting to see what happens under the
Overground set up - I imagine that current TOC locations will see no
change but what will happen at "transferred to LU control" stations like
Kew Gardens or Queens Park I do not know. I imagine London Travelwatch
are already on the warpath after their previous campaign about
Stratford.

checks

Surprisingly there is nothing in the news section.

[1] not a real ticket type obviously but it has a certain ring don't you
think?
--
Paul C