Old September 26th 07, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Marķa Marķa is offline

Default Overcrowding at Kings Cross St Pancras

"Toby" wrote in message ...
Travelling on a FCC train on Monday morning, I overheard an announcement
on the train at 08:30 that the tunnel linking Kings Cross Thameslink with
the underground platforms was closed until 10:00 due to severe
overcrowding. Customers were advised to make their way outside by foot to
Kings Cross (it was raining cats and dogs at hte time). Around ten
minutes later, I heard an announcement on the underground that due to
overcrowding, the entire Kings Cross St Pancras station was closed, with
no Circle/Hammersmith/Met trains stopping there until further notice.

Yesterday, there was severe overcrowding at the same station at 17:45,
presumably due to the football at the Emirates Stadium. I managed to make
my way to the Victoria Line, which was becoming dangerously overcrowded -
part closure of the Piccadilly Line didn't help. As I squeezed onto a
northbound Victoria Line train, the tannoy advised "Due to a reported
emergency, can all customers please leave the station immediatley".

Stations like Kings Cross St Pancras can get very overcrowded at peak
times (even more so in Nov when Eurostar at FCC move stations), but is the
entire closure of the station a routine occurrence?

It would seem to be since the beginning of the summer. I too am a FCC
commuter to Kings X and have recently been caught up in this fiasco several
times.

Marķa