Old September 27th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default Lack of available trains

In message , Nicola Redwood
writes

I think you are confused. There is no lack of trains, but there is a
severe lack of trains that are available for service. The trains are
unavailable because of an alleged safety-related defect. "Lack of
available trains" seems to me to be a perfectly clear non-tautological
phrase.

The best announcements I've heard whilst waiting for a Circle line train for
some time at Edgware Rd were "we cannot find the driver" and "the driver
hasn't finished his tea break" Full support for the finishing tea break
driver

The driver is perfectly entitled to his/her break. It's the part of the
working day that you are not being paid by the company, so why shouldn't
they take their half hour? It's also a legal requirement that the
driver has at least a half hour break after 4.25 hours of continuous
driving. When there are problems, it is common (at least on the Picc)
to have a short/late meal break of the minimum allowed and go straight
back out and drive some more.

Just because the person managing the service has failed to handle this
correctly doesn't put the driver at fault as was implied above.