Old September 27th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Lack of available trains

John B wrote:
On 27 Sep, 17:47, "Richard J." wrote:
In another forum, someone has suggested that double-manning would
solve the problem - it certainly would in a 'actual safety' sense,
but since there's no problem in an 'actual safety' sense I'm not
sure how relevant that is...

It's relevant because you could have a Met driver with A-stock
knowledge and an H&C driver with the route knowledge, but the
problem remains where to reverse.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that double-manning *of C-stock*
would solve the "dysfunctional dead man's handle" problem.
Double-manning A- stock with H&C drivers would definitely still
leave the "I don't know how to work this train, and my mate over
there doesn't know where he's going" problem...

Why is that a problem? I thought that similar situations were allowed
on all railways, just as ships take on a pilot in unfamilar waters.

But you're right about double-manning of C-stock, which would have been
a simpler solution. They could have double-manned the H&C to
Whitechapel and also an Edgware Road - Parsons Green shuttle.

Anyway, it all seems back to almost normal now. Only the Circle has
"severe delays".

--
Richard J.