Old September 29th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Unfinished part of the M23?

In message 1191082728.8057.1.camel@Vigor13, John Hearns
writes

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 09:12 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

Yes, it was to have continued as far as Balham, from where spurs would
have connected it to the inner London Ringway ("London Motorway Box").

In which case it really WOULD have become the 'Gateway to the South'

LOL! Although I think Balham's grand vista of ever-changing lights (red,
red and amber, green, amber and then red again) might have been a bit
sub-optimal for a motorway.

(According to the WIKI entry on Balham, "Gateway to the South" was an
actual advertising slogan used by the Southern Railway in 1926 when the
Northern Line tube station opened adjacent to their own station - but I
find it hard to believe!).

--
Paul Terry