Old October 2nd 07, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
jonmorris jonmorris is offline

Default Great Northern inner surburban services - London travelwatch reponse to RUS

On 2 Oct, 00:15, MIG wrote:

So what is the history of the line being closed at weekends? It was
open on Sundays from the late 1970s when it reopened after the
transfer. I am not clear on when it closed.

There are lots of things that don't make sense, but appear to be down
to 'it's always been like that'.

At KGX, Network Rail has possession of all lines from a certain time
(1am?) on Saturday night to Sunday morning - regardless of whether
there is maintenance to be done. It apparently can't be changed as
it's 'set in stone' and leads to a ridiculous situation where the ONLY
day of the week where there isn't a very late train (0136 to
Peterborough, calling at most stations en route) is the night when
there would be potentially be the highest demand. I've been on the
0036 and 0136 trains many times, and if there have been any major
events in town even during the week, I've been standing all the way
home! Clearly there's revenue to be had there, and I know FCC want to
run later trains. I presume TfL would quite like to do that too. In
fact, who wouldn't want to see later trains?

Now, maintenance does of course need to be done but much work (bar
overhead lines) should be done with partial possession. There are four
lines FFS!!! Currently the only way to run the 0136 train on Saturday
night would be to use a bus ALL the time!

Jonathan