Old October 3rd 07, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Original J8 on the M4 (was: Unfinished part of the M23?)

John Rowland wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

I can think of a few sites on the motorway network where services
have been planned since the very start of construction, a good
example is on the M27 at Fareham West, where the the westbound off
slip is nearly a mile long with further slip roads easily visible,
and the eastbound on slip is paralled by about half a mile of road
for access to the future services. Been there 30 years now so why
do the Nimbys always seem so surprised?

Is this why there is a long sliproad at the M25/A217 junction ?

No, that was done when the motorway was widened to 4 lanes in each
direction. It's to separate clockwise traffic leaving at that junction
from slow-moving vehicles on the hill, so they put the exit to the slip
road at the bottom of the hill.
--
Richard J.