Old October 3rd 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Overcrowding at Kings Cross St Pancras

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , James
Farrar writes

I've noticed in the last month or so, drivers have been much
quicker to give tannoy announcements at delays, even if it's
just "we're stopped at a red signal and I don't know why".

New rules innit - initial announcement within 30 secs, if only to
reassure the passengers that you've not dropped dead.

I had presumed there had been such an edict; but if the rules
really state that announcements should be made evry two minutes,
that's excessive.

Does this only apply between stations?

The instruction is - first announcement after 30 secs. There is no
particular requirement to give any more information to a deadline
other than passing on any relevant info (which I would do anyway,
edict or no!).

It is expected that once initial information has been passed on,
then updates are obviously important for long shutdowns; otherwise
a minimum of something every station when slow moving so that any
joining passengers are kept updated.

Is there a requirement to find out the cause of the delay before the
first, or perhaps second, announcement? I was wondering whether the new
rule had led to many more radio calls from drivers to the line
controller, and whether this was a good use of his time, e.g. does it
detract from sorting out the blockage if there is one?
--
Richard J.