Old October 4th 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Crossrail noes fail

On Oct 4, 12:38 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Having said all that, i agree entirely that the tunnel should be built to
a UIC gauge, GB or GC. Yes, the surface lines are smaller gauge, but they
can be improved relatively cheaply, whereas once a tunnel is built, it's
virtually impossible to make it bigger. Future proof is where it's at! How
much more does it cost to make a tunnel wider? I can't believe it's that
much with modern boring methods.

Allegedly all new rail structures in this country are meant to be
built to UIC B or C, but I can't find confirmation of this in the
Crossrail literature. The only reference to gauge appears to be "6m
internal diameter", which compares to 4.8m for the Northern City and
7.6m for the Channel Tunnel. It might be enough - UIC B trains are
4.7m above the rail.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London