Old October 4th 07, 02:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Great Northern inner surburban services - London travelwatchreponse to RUS

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, DaveP wrote:

There's a mechanism by which Ken can specify and pay for additional
services on NR routes in the London area. I wonder if, probably once

i think it would be very successful, and might convince FCC that such a

The cynic in me wonders what would be in it for FCC to improve the
service in this way. They already blame overcrowding on a their
customers holding flexible tickets and the same argument could be made
here - they would make little extra income from the traffic.

Bear in mind that most of the additional traffic, i think, will come from
people out and about in the City - Shoreditch - Islington area going home,
not commuters coming home later. I doubt many of the revellers have
seasons on that line. They might have travelcards, in which case FCC's
share of the travelcard pie would go up. Most of them are probably PAYG
users, in which case FCC would be selling them tickets. Either way, more
money for FCC.

They'd probably also leave the stations unstaffed and ticketless travel
would be rife.

Moorgate, Old Street, Essex Road and Highbury & Islington are underground,
so section 12 applies - they couldn't be run unstaffed. And as U points
out, three of those are currently run by LU anyway, with no FCC presence
needed. Drayton Park could be run unstaffed, but not many people are going
to be getting on there, as it's more of a destination than an origin, so
fare losses would be minimal.

tom

--
Tubes are the foul subterranean entrails of the London beast, stuffed
with the day's foetid offerings. -- Tokugawa