Old October 4th 07, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Walthamstow Central update

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:59:17 -0700, lonelytraveller
wrote:

When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

Never would be my answer to that. There's no real demand for it and
certainly no political clamour.

Depending on whatever happens with the Chingford line - i.e. via Clapton
to Liv St or via a reinstated curve and via Stratford to Liv St - I
would like to see a wholesale change in how it's run. I'd like to see a
more "turn up and go" frequency and I'd like several new stations built
on it to provide a more useful service in Waltham Forest.

Stations could be added at Forest Road, Fulbourne Rd / A406 and at
Chingford Hatch. You could possibly squeeze one in at Coppermill Lane as
well. Ideally more tram / train like vehicles with high acceleration and
braking should be provided to replace the current units which would
provide the requisite line capacity for a much more frequent service.
I'd almost be tempted to suggest driving on sight for the line once it
was past Clapton Junction - provided, of course, that there was no need
for ECS workings of other stock to and from Chingford sidings.

If we get things like the Hackney Downs / Hackney Central link [1], the
link from Walthamstow Central to Queens Road [2] plus stations on the
line to Stratford at Lea Bridge Road and Ruckholt Road then you get a
very useful rail based local transit network that would provide easy and
convenient access within the Borough and into the Overground / Tube /
DLR and Crossrail network and still into the City. It would also allow
some elements of the local bus network to be redeployed as rail would
provide some of the key borough wide links.

[1] apparently on Network Rail's list of works.
[2] apparently on the verge of collapse due to the apathy of the parties
to actually enforce past agreements.
--
Paul C