Old October 6th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Ghost prison!

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, John Rowland wrote:

I found an estate with no rooves on... it looks like one of those
diagrams you see in estate agent windows.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...&t=k&z=19&om=1

Ooh, nice one!

If you look at the same estate in Windows Live Local, the Birds Eye
Views show the estate completed, but the plan view shows the stuff
that was demolished to make room for it.

I've come across a couple of cases of that with roads - the A120 past
Stansted, i think, which was on the map but not the photo. The A10
bypass from Standon to the outskirts of Ware is still missing from
the photos (unless it's in a tunnel or something):

It's not. But these are cases of the map not matching the photo, whereas I
was talking about the overhead photos not matching the angled photos.

And am i right in think that's the skeleton of a dead wartime airfield
just to the east of Stansted:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...wloc=addr&om=1

Yes, and you can easily drive onto the runways of this one, which is fun.

It's amazing how easy they are to spot from the air (assuming they're
not decoys). Which is kind of unfortunate, given the context in which
they were built!

Given the primitive equipment used by the British pilots returning to land
on them, it's rather fortunate they were easy to spot from the air.