Old October 8th 07, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Tim Woodall Tim Woodall is offline

Default Oyster validators on Silverlink

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:55:17 GMT,
Neil Williams wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:13:12 -0700, MIG
wrote:

I've seen a driver leave people in the rain at two in the morning when
a machine wasn't working.

I'm sure I remember hearing that they actually *can't* sell tickets
when in the central fare stages. Thus, what they're meant to do is
give you a free lift to the next stop and wait for you while buying a
ticket.

As for the railway, penalty and Standard Fare policies can only be
enforced where there is a means of buying a ticket. If the ticket
machine is not working, you can buy a discounted ticket on board or at
your destination. If they aren't following this rule, complain...

Out of interest, what is the situation where say, you only have a 20GBP
note and the ticket machine has a sign saying "Due to the number of
forgeries this machine no longer accepts 20 pound notes"?

Many, many years ago this happened to me - I'm pretty sure the guard on
the train was actually taking the **** because he would only sell me a
single and I wasn't even trying to buy a discounted fare, just a
standard return.

Tim.

and there was light.